Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day +9

The day started early. Nico sent me a text message at 7:00 am that he is already up and running and I should take my time to come over. I had planed to get to the hospital early to be there for Dr. Burt's morning rounds. I wanted to get at least one picture of him and Nico before we leave.
Nico said to Dr. Burt - you are the Miracle Man

Dr.Burt's helpers Allison and Dr.Han
We got the results of his early morning blood draw. White count was 0.1(!).  Yes, 0.1 does not seem much but it is more than <0.1 and means counts are going up. 

Dr. Burt was thinking too that Nico could possibly go home Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. He ordered an additional blood draw for 4:00 pm. That should give us a better idea how things are developing. 

We have a flight booked for Saturday at 1:35 pm. But we have also a reservation for Monday should Saturday not work out. I only hope that I can extent our stay at the Residence Inn for 2 nights. I'm trying not to stress too much about that.

Today was a low action day. Nico decided to asked for a Valium since he felt all jittery. The Valium knocked him out pretty quickly and he fell asleep for a while. He missed his PT session and was pretty much useless for the rest of the day. He felt really loopy and I had to help him to get to the bathroom. 

At lunch time I went down to the 2nd floor cafeteria to buy my lunch: Pesto Tilapia and a side of cauliflower. The food is really tasty and the menu changes every day. They also had cheese Tortellini, Nico's favorite. I took my food upstairs to eat in Nico's room. He had claimed that he was not hungry and felt still full from breakfast. But that changed as soon as I came into the room with my lunch. So I had to go downstairs again and get him the same plus Tortellinis. He ate everything except the fish. He likes to go fishing, but does not like to eat fish.

After he ate he felt less loopy, but he was still sleepy and kept snoozing off. The nurse came at 4:00 pm for the blood draw, Neupogen shots and antibiotics IV. He also gets antiviral and antifungal meds in pill form. Nico always insists to do the Neupogen shots himself but he allows the nurse to press the plunger (I know, he is weird).

Around 7:30 pm the lab result came in - drum roll - white count was 0.4! It is definitely happening, by tomorrow  afternoon they should be high enough for discharge.

Tonight was the season opening episode of Bones and I stayed to watch it with Nico. He lasted about 10 min and then he was out again. He did not wake up after the episode ended. I turned off the light and left to go to the hotel.

2 comments: