Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day -2

Today was another beautiful day in Chicago, sunny and somewhat higher temperatures. I arrived before 9am at the hospital. First person I ran into was Dr. Burt. He asked me : "Wie geht's?" (Which means: how are you?). He speaks some German.

Nico was already up and sitting in the chair. He was feeling a bit nauseous this morning and he was not sure if he would be able to eat his breakfast that he just ordered. But I could tell right away that he was doing better than yesterday. He was able to go to the bathroom and brush his teeth. It sounds not like much, although it is quite an act: clear a path, unplug IV pole, gather all lines together, get up from chair, get Foley bag off the floor, hold onto the IV pole, try not to fall, shuffle to the bathroom....

Once he was back and seated in the chair again, Dr. Burt came in for his morning visit. Today is Sunday, but that does not matter to him. I mentioned that we could already see changes taking place with Nico and he got really interested and wanted to know details. He never stays very long but he left with a smile on his face. 
Nico and I noticed that he was wearing jeans today. After he left the room we said at the same time - he is wearing "his casual Sunday jeans".

His breakfast arrived and Nico tried to eat some of it, but with not much success. The nurse brought him some Ginger Ale, which helped a bit. 

Today is the last day of chemo, yeah! It was almost time already for the premeds.


We started watching a documentary on Netflix about Bob Marley, called Marley. 

The premeds started to work and he was feeling better. His appetite came back with a vengeance too.

Chicken breast sandwich, Hummus dip, mashed potatoes and Strawberry Short Cake

This is sooo good!

Best food ever!

By 3pm Cytoxan was done! No more chemo. 

The nurse started the premeds for the rATG which puts him usually to sleep shortly afterward. I decided this was a good time to get some exercise and some food. I walked to my favorite grocery store on Ontario - Trader Joe's. I loaded up on food and water, and also a bottle of Pinot Noir. My backpack was quite heavy and started to pull me backwards after a while. I made the trip to the Residence Inn, put everything in the refrigerator and headed back to the Hospital. 

There I got stuck outside the automatic door to the floor. Pushing the button did nothing. I looked around and found a phone number to call in case of a problem. Sure enough the phone on the front desk started to ring, but it was the receptionist's day off. I called Nico and asked him to ring for the nurse to let me back in. As soon as I finished my sentence I saw someone on the other side of the double doors coming my way. Great, I get in! But now I had to wait for one door to close before I could open the one on the other side. I imagined myself spending the night in the room between the 2 doors, curled up on the floor. 

But then the guy who opened the door came back from the outside, just pushing the door open. He asked me if I'm Nico's mom. He knew me from Facebook. He wrote a comment in one of my posts that he would "die Daumen halten", which means he would keep his fingers crossed for Nico. His sister is being treated too and is already at day +5. I should have asked for her name.

Wow, 2 Americans in one day speaking German! The automatic doors are broken and are therefore temporarily not locked. There was a note on the button on the inside of the floor.

Overall, today was a good day. I was really happy to see my son with more energy and he was talking again. That is always a good sign. Tomorrow will be one more day of rATG and then the big day is coming up! From there on out we will be counting with positive numbers...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment