Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day +11

We are home!
Considering the problems at the airports we decided to get there as early as possible. We got lucky with the cab. It was a SUV and we did not have to fold up Nico's scooter. We took that as a good omen. 

The taxi driver dropped us off at the SWA side walk check-in and we checked our bags. It did not take long. The line at the security check was also not bad and we went through there in no time. 

Nico was able to go through the scanner with a little help. Usually they take him to a special area and pat him down and treat him like a 'moron' (Nico's words). 

Some fun at the airport, riding the escalator
Now we had plenty of time at the gate, we were about 2.5h early. The easiest check-in we ever had!


In addition, our flight left 1h later than planed. They were waiting for passengers from connecting flights. 

We got our preferred first row seats and met a nice young guy who took the 3rd seat in our row. Four hours later we touched down with a smooth landing in San Diego. Yoohoo, we are home!

Nico wrote a blog post during the night before we left Chicago:

I would like to thank everyone for your interest in my story. First night out of the hospital, it's 4:30 am now, I know it seems I should be asleep. After 3 weeks of not getting much sleep due to all the vital checks, getting hooked up to the IV machine, and taking meds multiple times through out the night, I guess my body has just adjusted to being awake. While being neutropenic I stayed in bed most of the time. Except for moving to the chair, to move a little bit, I was scared to injure myself and extend my stay at the hospital. Dr. Burt told me it was necessary to move around a bit, so I followed his instructions. Then your counts go up, and before you know it you get discharged. The only thing I left at the hospital is the MS. Now it's up to me to do the rest. Time to go back home and start PT.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making this blog and sharing it with the world man! It has helped me in more ways than you know! I am going to see Dr Burt and be evaluated for the study in the middle of November to hopefully join you in getting rid of this horrible MS. Keep updating us with your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darren, thank you for reading our blog. If we were able to help that is great to know. We wish you good luck for your evaluation and hope you will be treated by Dr. Burt. If you have any questions let us know. Did you check out the Facebook group specifically to Dr. Burt's study?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/burthsct/

    ReplyDelete